RV bike racks provide a stylish way of transporting bikes on RVs for those who make RVing a lifestyle. If you’re an adventurer, you know what it means to live life to the fullest.
If you always bring bikes with you on the road, having a stand-alone bike rack is not desirable. Instead, you need a practical rack that allows you to transport your bike without worrying about damaging the bikes or the RV itself.
Not all racks support the bike mounting system. Therefore, you should always take time to compare both standard and specialized RV racks and pick one that suits your needs. It is important to consider space available for loading and unloading racks, weight capacity, and warranty when making a purchase.
Finding the right RV bike rack can be overwhelming as there are lots of options in the market. Many of these bike racks look the same. However, there are considerable differences that impact the safety of your bike(s). Most models have an easy installation process that will take little time, each with its own pros and cons.
I’ve compiled a list of the 9 most durable RV bike racks available on the market in 2022. So, without further ado, let’s dive straight in.
1. Camco RV Ladder Mount Bike Rack
This bike rack is a product of Camco, a leading RV product producer in the US. The Camco RV Ladder Mount Bike Rack can hold up to two bikes with the heaviest weight of 60 pounds. This ladder mount rack fits on any standard ladder. Additionally, it comes with bonus straps for extra security. The Camco RV Ladder Mount Bike Rack weighs about eight pounds thus easy to move.
When not in use, you can fold it up and store it in your RV or garage. You don’t, therefore, need much storage space.
- Easy to install. The rack hooks over the rungs of your RV ladder, then strap in place so it’s really easy to install.
- Secure. The rack and bonus straps hold the bikes in place, protecting them from damage.
- Holds bikes horizontally. Your bikes may stick out past your RV side, risking damage and posing a danger to other road users.
2. Surco 501BR Ladder Mounted Bike Rack
Surco 501BR Bike Rack is compatible with the ladder on any RV. Can carry two bikes at a time. This model comes with pivoting arms. These allow for easy access to the ladder without completely removing the rack. You don’t need any extra straps during installation. Many ladders mounted racks don’t offer this convenient feature, making it one of our best RV bike racks.
The material used to make this bike rack is heavy gauge aluminum. Additionally, it has a bright dipped polished finish for corrosion resistance. As a result, the Surco rack is super lightweight at less than four pounds. The model is thus easy to move around and handle. Yet, it can hold bikes up to 75 pounds.
When you buy this particular model, it will arrive assembled. This spares you lengthy installation time.
- Easily accessible. It comes with pivoting arms that allow access to the ladder without the need to remove the rack.
- Compatibility. Compatible with any model of RV.
- Easily installable. Easy installation as you don’t need straps.
- Great positioning. The rack positioning allows you to keep your bumper and hitch for other needs.
- Small. There’s not space for more than two bikes.
3. Swagman XC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack
We chose this bike rack as one of our best RV racks. This is because of its adaptability to work with many sizes of trailers and campers. Swagman XC 2-Bike Hitch Mount fits nicely on a standard two-inch hitch receiver.
Additionally, this rack is a hybrid rack as it can mount to an appropriate steel-welded bumper adopter. This feature makes it more versatile and able to work with a variety of RV models.
The Swagman rack weighs about 36 pounds. This rack can carry up to two bikes with the most weight of 35 pounds each. With this bike rack, you can transport bikes with tire sizes between 20 to 29 inches. The rack is foldable, making it portable when removed from your RV.
- Great fit. It fits standard hitch, i.e., a two-inch, class 3 hitch receiver.
- Easy and versatile installation options. The rack can be hitch-mounted or bumper mounted.
- Fits most bikes. Can adjust for different bike sizes as it works with bike tire sizes of between 20 to 29 inches.
- Foldable. It’s highly foldable and easy to store and transport.
- Capacity. Bike capacity is only two bikes at a time.
4. Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Racks
This rack looks amazing, has the most durability, and carries more than two bikes. Allen Sports has a patent on the design, making it a high-quality RV rack. Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch RV has the capability of carrying four bikes. The rack works with a two-inch trailer hitch.
However, you need professional installation on Class III or IV inches. The rack also includes 22-inch-long carrying arms. These arms secure your bikes while transporting and drop out of the way when not in use.
- Capacity. It has a capacity of four bikes which is awesome.
- Foldable. The carrying arms fold out of the way when not in use.
- Tough to install. May need professional help for installation.
5. Quick Products Bumper Mounted Rack
Quick products Bumper Mounted Racks are our top choice in regards to bumper-mounted RV racks. The rack mounts to the bumper and can hold two bikes weighing 30 pounds each. These are stainless steel powder-coated racks of high durability. Additionally, the powder coating increases the rack’s corrosion resistance.
This rack can accommodate bikes of different lengths of up to 29 inches. All you need to do is customize the space between the slots where the tires will sit. Additionally, it comes with slotted wheel wells. These wheel wells help set up bike tires in place during loading. Once loaded, the stabilizer post gives a place to support your bikes and fasten them down.
- Cheap. Most budget-friendly of all RV racks.
- Fits most bikes. Adjustable to accommodate bikes of different sizes.
- Durable. The powder-coated finish provides resistance against corrosion and rust.
- Easily loadable. The slotted wheel wells make it easy to load bikes.
- Doesn’t fit all RVs. Works only with RV of 4-inch or 4.5-inch steel welded bumper.
- Small. The rack only holds two bikes which is a bummer.
6. Swagman 2-Bike RV Bumper Rack
Swagman Bumper Rack is the best choice if your RV has a solid, steel-welded bumper to attach your bike. This rack is lightweight at less than a pound but can transport two bikes with a maximum of 60 pounds.
This Bumper rack features heavy-duty steel construction. The rack also features black paint and powder coating for enhanced corrosion resistance.
- Lightweight. The rack weighs just 0.75 pounds.
- Budget-friendly. Coming in at $87, it’s definitely a bargain.
- Versatile. It’s versatile as it can adjust to fit different tire sizes.
- Small. It fits only two bikes.
7. Swagman 4-Bike RV Bumper Rack
The rack works for square bumper RVs. Swagman Bicycle Carriers 4-bike Bumper rack has a heavy-duty steel construction. Moreover, it has a black paint finish topped off with a powder coating. The powder coating helps prevent corrosion. To secure the bikes on the racks, use the RV U hooks. For added security, this rack comes with upright bars between each section of the rack.
- Durable. Powder-coated to help prevent corrosion.
- Capacity. The rack holds up to four bikes.
- Impractical. All bikes carried must be of the same wheelbase to fit on the rack.
8. Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk
This is a trailer tongue mount and attaches between your trailer and the towing vehicle. The receiver is a raised A-frame receiver that mounts vertically. This RV bike supports up to 100 pounds and holds up to four bikes.
- Installation. It’s really easy to install using the mount.
- Affordable. It’s not as expensive as some of the other bike racks on this list.
- Versatility. It doesn’t fit all RVs so purchase with care.
9. Curt 4 Bicycles Trailer Hitch Bike Rack
Curt 4 Bicycles Trailer Hitch Bike Rack is a hitch-mounted RV bike carrier. This rack fits on a standard two-hitch-inch receiver. If you have more than two bikes to carry on the back of your RV, then you need to consider buying this rack. Cart 18064 can support up to four bicycles at a go with a total weight capacity of 225 pounds.
- Large bike capacity. Holds up to four bikes with a maximum of 225 pounds.
- Easy installation. Hitch-mount installation is easy to install and remove.
- Compact. The tapered wings allow the fitting of bikes of different sizes together.
- Durable. The carbide black finish coat reduces built up of rust and corrosion.
- Lack of sturdiness. It’s not as sturdy as many of the other racks that made this list.
Final thoughts on RV bike racks
When trying to find one of the best bike hitch racks for your next trip you want to consider the following:
- Is it easy to use? You don’t want to spend the majority of your vacation being frustrated. Find a bike rack that just works without too much hazzle.
- What’s the capacity? You want to find a bike racket that isn’t too big but is still capable of transporting all of your family’s bikes.
- Does it fit? It’s probably one of the first things you’ll need to look into. Does it even fit your type of RV?
- What’s the quality like? You don’t want your brand new RV rack to break when you’re on a road trip in Switzerland, now do you?
- How much does it cost? There’s no reason to spend too much on a bike rack for your RV. There are plenty of cheap solutions out there.
That’s pretty much all I’ve got for you. I hope this list could help you find the RV rack you’ve always dreamed of.